Search This Blog

Wednesday 11 May 2011

PS I love you/satnav I don't

This week I started a 5 session short course at Nottingham University organised by The Poetry School.
The whole experience so far, with the exception of my navigation (more later), has been a dream. Enrolment was  fast, simple and the lady on the phone was extremely helpful. The room at the university was excellent and the tutor, Matthew Welton, has already started the sparks in my brain again.

Matthew is a lecturer at Nottingham and a ground breaking poet. I bought his book We needed coffee but... about 2 months ago and would say that if you have a safe cosy view of what constitutes poetry then you might hate it, but if you are happy to have your preconceptions challenged then it is certainly a book worth trying. It doesn't always come off, but often enough.

The navigation problem was born of me trusting my sat nav once I arrived at the university. It knows where all the roads are, but sent me through the campus twice and tried to take me in the wrong direction the third time.

1 comment:

  1. I hope you find the course truly inspiring, Gary.
    Re sat navs: I share your pain! I'm still learning to trust mine, despite its shortcomings!

    ReplyDelete